Here's the sequence of steps required for an early adopter to successfully migrate from Lotus Notes to Google Apps at Hesston College.
Each party (the user and HC IT) will notify each other of completion of the current step by updating the helpdesk ticket created in step 2.
- Invited to the migration process (HC IT)
This message will be posted to our Communication Log so you can be sure it's legitimate, and will outline what's required from the user.
- Accept the invitation to proceed (You)
By accepting the invitation in a reply, you indicate you are ready for the migration to begin, and for you to do the required steps below. The reply will also create a new Helpdesk ticket for tracking the migration process.
Please consider and include answers to the following questions:
Creation of the user's Google Account (HC IT)
- Would you prefer to change to the new First.Last@Hesston.edu email address format as your primary/sending address?
NOTE: Both this and the previous standard [first name][last name initial] will continue to work for both email and login on campus computers and networks.
- What, if any, non-standard email aliases do you have, or shared mailboxes do you access?
NOTE: We will generally try to check this as well, but any info you provide also helps avoid missing something.
HC IT will create a new Google Account, and notify you with an update to their Helpdesk ticket.
We will also include instructions for resetting your network password, and preparing your mailbox for migration.
Reset user network/computer password (You)
This change WILL REQUIRE ALL systems and devices connected to HC_Secure (using this account) to reset their network settings to use this new password. (eg: phones, tablets, laptops, etc.)
NOTE: There are new requirements for passwords (highlighted in "Before you Begin")
Lotus Mailbox prep (You)
Your mailbox should be prepared for migration:
Access your new mailbox (You)
- Check that your webmail contacts contain your desired personal contacts. If you would like assistance in synchronizing personal address book contacts to your webmail list, let us know with a reply to your ticket.
(The HC directories for Employees and Students are handled automatically.)
- Clean out any mail you do not want migrated, and 'flag' any mail in Lotus you want 'starred' in GMail.
NOTE: Unread status is lost in migration - all copied mail is marked as read.
More about this is available in the "Switching from Lotus Notes" linked on the left.
- Make note of any custom Lotus Notes email rules that you will need to recreate using the "filters" feature in Google Mail.
Log into your new mailbox at https://mail.hesston.edu at least once to ensure you're ready to proceed with the migration of your Lotus Mailbox and start delivery of all new mail in GMail.Start mailbox migration (HC IT)
HC IT will set the needed rules, and initiate the migration of all mail, calendar entries newer than 1/1/2010, and contacts to Google.Archiving of migrated mail (You)
You will follow the instructions for archiving your migrated mail to an offline archive. The mail server will maintain a 10 day buffer of local mail received and sent to your Google mailbox.Change desktop and mobile mail access and software/apps (You)
Please remember that any changes within Lotus will no longer be reflected in your Gmail mailbox, so you should use Google as your primary interface once migration completes.
- On computers you may wish to set GMail as the default mail program.
- If you use Lotus Traveler on a mobile device you may want to keep it for a short while as a backup, but you should add a profile connecting to Google per instructions on the migration website.
Student accounts will follow a similar process as above, but are unlikely to have many of the complexities. Their account migrations will be handled in bulk and will require only the password reset process to get started on Google Apps.